Monday, September 1, 2008

Fear-Based Living

I just spent a lively evening with some neighbors and other guests. After living for nearly a week in a democratic bubble of light, it was a sobering experience to be the only Democrat in the room amidst some very well-spoken folks.

Sobering not because I was swayed by their arguments which I appreciate but do not abide. Neither side was actually looking to sway the other. That was fine.

The conversation was sobering because these folks already knew where they stood at the start of the primary, and as a result they were willing to purchase the entire bag of tricks offered by MSM (read: Fox News).

What shocked me was that the same people who could talk health care, economics, and foreign policy with great aplomb and intelligence, were the same people who also believe the Obama is an angry Black man whose candidacy is, in part, based on his desire to finally stick it to the White man. And Michelle, oooh, they really don't like her.

The conversation was as stimulating and eye-opening as my five days at the convention.

I take heart that Denver introduced me to tens of thousands of people who think otherwise. I take heart in the fact that not everybody lives their lives out of a fear of what might be. But I must say: reality never ceases to amaze me.

Phew.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think it's fair to call close minded people like that "reality" call it what it is--cynicism and ignorance. All the more reason that we needed Obama now. People such as this, who can actually without any irony FEAR that a black man might 'stick it to them' (despite 400 years of all other races getting 'stuck') shows that people would NEVER be 'ready' for a black president, so it might as well be now.

Arlene said...

Oh, to hear this now after such an awesome convention! I had hoped my fear when Obama announced his bid for presidency was laid to rest!
but alas ! Not yet to be!