So I took my turn to help register voters today. Signed on through the
Obama campaign and was assigned to a local post office. There were 18 of us there at one point, the event was also billed as a rally for clean energy through Moveon.org.
Just a few observations: most people were kind and interested
and already registered. Many folks waved and gave us thumbs up signs, honked horns, stopped to chat. The women who gathered to help today all said they had done so because they were tired of sitting home,
watching t.v. and worrying. Indeed, they wanted to
do something.
Another observation...those who said they were voting for McCain were by and large very rude. We were screamed at and even called "Commie Pigs" (which I thought was out but I guess its better than pigs in lipstick) One elderly man actually stopped his car to shout "McCain all the way...you're just a bunch of
babies!" Okay then.
I came home to read a telling quote from my favorite blogger, Andrew Sullivan who wrote:
If you aren't creeped out by what has been going on these past two weeks in America, you are not paying attention.
I'm still maintaining hope...but he just may have a point.
3 comments:
The meanness of many conservatives is a big reason why I won't put an Obama sticker on my car. I'm not sure my insurance covers politically driven vandalism!
As a matter of fact, several of the women with whom I spoke said they HAD bumper stickers removed from their cars. Now who is acting like 'big babies'. Odd...really odd.
I had the exact same thoughts about conservatives this AM while listening to Glenn Beck on talk radio while driving to work.(Why do I torture myself?)
There is a meanness to conservatives that just doesn't jive with their G-d loving pro life persona. That all came out at the R convention and is displayed constantly in McCain/Palin ads, and by Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and their ilk. They rile up the masses and make them all even meaner!
Why can't we have a kinder, gentler America with a nice Democrat president and vp?
Post a Comment