Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Relationship Capital

Developing relationships with other human beings is something women do well. We begin as little girls. We argue, we tease, sometimes get down right mean and we talk and talk and talk about everything and nothing. We relate. That is what girls do.

It is all in the name of building relationships with the people around us, especially with other women. As author/educator Carol Gilligan noted long ago, we see our lives in terms of the web of our relationships.

This fact is one of the things that often makes women very good ministers. We understand that ministry is a people profession, we "get" people, we relate well and in most cases most of us are not afraid to connect with those people. Through those connections we build what I call relationship capital. This asset helps us when dealing with people in anxious or difficult situations because we've been there all along listening, understanding simply engaging others.

I have no doubt that my theory becomes an asset to female politicians as well. It is what worries me about the fact of Sarah Palin.

Sarah, as her "gal pals" across the nation now call her, has been relating to, connecting with and supporting others her whole life. It was no surprise when I read one of her colleagues say that she has an impeccable knack for figuring out what people want and designating herself as the solution their problems. She is a woman. And, she is a politician.

I do not like her nasty side, and I do not share her polarizing good versus evil/black and white way of looking at the world but I know that she knows others, many others do. She is becoming the angry "we feel dissed" voice for women across the country. Women are lapping her up because she feels their pain, she's angry too!

There is more than one side to this whole relating thing. As mean girls all over the world teach us, relationship capital can be used and it can be abused.

A very wise woman in my life says we have to stop energizing Governor Palin with our own anger toward her. I'm going to take that into serious consideration, and do my best. But I tell you, it would be easier if I were not a woman, because I understand of what she is potentially made and it ain't pretty.

All of a sudden, I'm wistfully wishing for Hillary.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What I don't understand is how any woman who supported Hillary would even CONSIDER supporting the Republican ticket. John McCain is a shadow of his former "maverick" self and Sarah Palin stands for (and against) so many things that should concern all women. The possibility that could end up as president scares me deeply.

BTW - found you through Julie G. I'm very much enjoying reading your blog!

LJ said...

I agree 100%. And what scares me is that women who are feeling pissed off about their status in life could overlook the issues in order to vote for "one of them". As a McCain spokesperson admitted, in the end this election will NOT be about the issues. THAT is truly scary. Get out the vote, talk to anyone you know in Ohio. Thanks!