As I continue to unpack Denver, I am naturally answering questions from friends and school yard moms...'HOW WAS IT?!?!?"
It is a bi-partisan query from genuinely interested people.
Consistently, I find myself talking about how proud I was to be a part of a process that really seems to work. When I boil it all down to a couple of coffee talk sentences I cannot help but say that I felt and continually to feel that democracy works. Regardless of all the hub-bub, the process is exciting, complex and truly representative of the freedom we Americans hold so dear.
So why do I have a pit in my stomach?
I looked forward to having time to actually sit and watch the GOP convention last night. I sincerely hoped I could hear more of what is exciting them in this election. I get that the speeches are sermons being preached to the choir...and I expected that within the sermons I would hear their "platform" (now that I am so versed in such things).
What I heard was mockery. Top on the list was Rudy Guiliani making fun of Obama's candidacy underneath which was a complete and utter ridicule of the American Political Process. No wait, it was actually mockery of more than half of the American population. No wait, it was actually a statement of utter contempt for AMERICA.
I know toxic when I see it and this was TOXIC. And so, I was not only disappointed, but worried. Worried because if I am honest about the grander scale of my "house divided" theory, then I know it applies to our country as a whole.
Is it any wonder then that so MANY are attracted to a candidacy that speaks of hope and the possibility of something more? The cynics cannot have the last word.
We've now heard how powerful and effective the local PTA/soccer mom can be...so watch out: I'm marching forward and I'm armed.
Know Hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
These people only know how to divide and scare people. They have moved so far away from the truth that Mitt Romney can stand up there and rail against East Coast elites without the slightest sense of irony that he is in fact an east coast elite. Their gift to us is fear and division and hate. This is all they seem to know. Guliani was repulsive and his wife might want to ask why he wears more make up than she does.
I have a pit in my stomach too. Last evening was so mean spirited. Toxic is a great word for it. Can you imagine if the Dems tried to pull off all that ridicule and sarcasm? Dem convention speeches were in no way that ugly. Only further divides the country...so Rovian.
We simply cannot let that woman be elected VP with a clear road ahead to '12 and '16. We cannot let them take over the country for another 12 years and set the USA back to the stone age.
Liz, thank you for YOUR words. YOUR words matter. I tuned in briefly to Palin's speech, think I heard some reference to hockey moms being pit bulls with lipstick, and then I turned it off. LIterally sickening. What can we do? Send money.
What else do you recommend? Someone please keep our spirits UP.
To answer the what can we do consider that before Palin's speech was over, 130,000 people donated over 8 million dollars to Obama's campaign. That says a lot.
Volunteering through the website or a local Obama grassroots chapter. There is much to do with voter registration especially before October 15th. And talk rationally and calmly to folks who ask you why you are supporting Obama.
Liz, no one has asked me yet, but I promise to get prepared with answers (re why I support Obama) Most everyone I know is on board, and those that are not are not open. Otherwise,re helping... am I wrong to assume that NY is solid for Obama, and local action is not needed? Funds,yes of course, for everywhere.
Liz, You've done us proud. Thanks for your insights. It isn't surprising that the Republican convention was so toxic. It was orchestrated by Karl Rove and his operatives. I'm certain that Obama was expecting what he got and is as prepared as anyone could be to hold his own. Now the only thing to hope for is that American voters are tired of voting for Rove. And that we Dems and like-minded independents spread the word among friends and associates. We have seen what the internet can do. Go to it! EMAIL LIKE MAD. GET OUT THE VOTE.
Hey everyone looking for events to work at: Check the Obama page.
If you are in the North Jersey area:
Voter Registration
Thursday, September 11 - 3 shifts
Shifts begin at at 1:00 PM, 2:30 PM, 4:00 PM
Ramsey Post Office (Ramsey, NJ)
You need to go on the Obama page and create a profile, there are many events listed there.
Post a Comment