So it is Monday morning and I am feeling a little post-convention stress syndrome. I think I ate too many speeches.
Luckily everyone knows that when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping. A little fall pick me up could do the trick. As luck would have it, its FASHION WEEK in New York. And as luck would also have it, NPR had a fashion maven on the radio this morning to discuss the new fall looks. I'm going to be okay...
Or so I thought until I heard that this year's styles are mirroring our depressed economy. They are drab, lacking on color and ease and flow. Instead, its all about WOOL, and high neck collars, and buttoning up for the long hard winter ahead. The look is called...
GLAMISH. Which rhymes with Amish. Simplicity meets drab with just a pinch of glam.
Apparently I should have done more shopping when I visited my cousin in Lancaster County this summer. Who knew?
In casual ready-to-wear, the season's color will be dark purple and dark washed jeans. Both, according to fashion historians, are signs that the economy is glum. Throughout time, when the going gets tough, the depressed wear purple. I'm not making this up. How could I?
All of this gives me some solace. I will likely save money by NOT shopping this season, and my sense of sadness has a source: it's cultural. Its in the air, the ether, the very fabric of society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
well said
you articulated something absurd (fashion style correlated to economy cycle) to profundity
Post a Comment