Thursday, October 9, 2008

What Is True?



I saw Michelle Obama on Larry King Live last night. Is this lady a class act, or what?!? She is poised, smart, gracious, well-spoken, and keenly self-possessed. I could not help but think of the other 44 year old mother in this race. What a difference. Phew.

Among the things that stood out in my mind from the interview was how she refused to take on the role of victim. It isn't in her lexicon to even go there. And why?

As a little girl growing up, she was obviously ridiculed for any number of reasons as she tells the story. But she went on to say that her mother always told her that before she got upset, she needed to look deep inside herself and ask the question, "Is what they're saying true about you?"

If not...then just let it go and move on.

It seems to me that the essence of the "cool" that both Barack and Michelle exude comes from this inner core developed through their collective life experience. You don't learn that stuff in a book, but from living life ever so slightly on the outside of the mainstream. Outside not of your own choosing but because the times (nearly) demanded you to be on the out side.

In the end, I am left with a very basic impression. These folks may be consummate politicians, and you might even accuse them of being opportunistic...but they are not seeking to infect this country with negativity and fear and anger and division.

On the contrary, they are hoping to bring this nation together. As people who have personally experienced the pain of division, I think it gives them the edge to moving us forward in the right direction.

That is the hope on which I will stand as we move toward November 4th.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I hear Obama clearly calling for accountability in the corruption that envelops our current economy.
While The Feds are "rescuing" the offenders they continue to abuse and the Feds just give them more money, Why should they stop?
Is it naive to think Obama will
be able to turn this around ? Who will support his efforts? We who elect him will need to change it .
YES WE CAN!!