Monday, October 13, 2008

Behold: Queen Esther

The Old Testament story of Esther depicts the tale of a beautiful queen who uses her charm, cooking skills and courageous nature to save the Israelites from destruction. Her story is celebrated each year during the Jewish Festival of Purim, a joyful remembrance of triumph for the Jewish people. It is often referred to as "The Jewish Halloween" for children dress in costume and act out the colorful story.

For Evangelical Christians this story takes on an additional meaning. Esther was placed in the role of favored queen by God. Confronting her king husband took courage...and confidence that she was placed in her position by the Lord to do what was right. Esther is revered for her courage to speak out for justice even when it could have cost her life.

Enter Sarah Palin. A Queen Esther for our time. Now I know I wasn't being paranoid when I posted Called By God last month. Watch this and you'll see what I mean.

I am certainly not opposed to those who feel called to serve their community in faith...but if it becomes a miscarriage of justice in the name of God...yikes, I do have trouble with that.

One BIG question that looms large: why did we have to hear about Rev. Wright for the entire month of March and then some...but we've yet to hear MSM really play this out? Ideas anyone?

No comments: