Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat?

Well, the polls are certainly confusing these days...yesterday CNN and Fox reported a "tightening". Today's NY Times/CBS Poll says it isn't really that tight at all.

An AP Poll out today says 1 in 7 people still have not decided.

The confusion may be that people are torn, genuinely torn.

Yesterday I met a mom who told me she loved Obama and thought he was going to be our next president. She then leaned in very close and practically whispered, "but I don't think I can vote for him. The tax thing, you know. My husband works very hard, very hard. (read: over 250K hard)...we just don't want to see that money go."

Okay, fair enough. What can I say to that? I was satisfied that she seemed genuinely torn for what it was worth.

I think those undecideds may be worried for the same reasons. And that is why I don't think the polls can tell us all we wish they could at this point. There is just too much at stake. We're witnessing history here folks. As in record numbers of people gettin' up off their duffs and voting. Some for the first time in their lives. So, as much as I hate to admit it, we'll just have to wait and see.

The polls I'm reading still have Obama up by 6.2. But what do I know?

The BIGGEST STORY OF THE DAY IN MY MIND: John McCain is only 5 points ahead in Arizona! He is doing robo calls in his home state and Obama is advertising there.

Unless I mistakenly read that on The Onion, I'm calling that one scarier than my son's zombie costume. The polls are close, but it seems Mr. McCain better muster the energy to rise from the dead in his own home state. Yikes.

Trick or Treat indeed! Oh, and Happy Candy Hunting!

No comments: