Colin Powell endorsed Barack Obama today on national television. What stood out for me was his "so what if Obama is a Muslim" statement. FINALLY...someone publicly states the obvious.
This video is a brief interview where Powell goes further to state the importance of the Unity in Diversity that is the cornerstone of our country. This, I fear, is a sensibility we are losing. Without it, no president will be able to govern...certainly not a President Obama should that become the reality.
Lately, I have become quite nostalgic about the liberal religious upbringing I enjoyed. As a young adult, rebellion came in my search for the traditional, the more orthodox. But as a parent I am now realizing just how fortunate my brothers and I were.
Difference and otherness was always embraced in our home. It allowed for a parade of rather unique individuals to fill our living room and share around our kitchen table. And, it allowed me to realize that all humans share a narrative: the quest for wholeness, happiness and freedom to be, to connect with others and something larger than themselves.
Unity in Diversity.
Thanks Mom and Dad. It turns out that all along we were the quintessential American Family...who knew?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Here here, as one of those brothers, I second that. I think we may have taken the diverse unity in our house growing up for granted, but I think it has allowed us to enter into the world without blinders on, fully congnizant of both our own limitations and the equality of all.
Post a Comment