Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Purpose Driven President

I may be one of very few people who was actually waiting to hear the announcement of who would give the invocation at Obama's Inauguration.

It was a bit of professional curiosity mixed with a belief that Obama would take great pains to chose someone whose presence would speak beyond his or her words.

Let's face it...I didn't think it would be The Rev. Jeremiah Wright. But I was hoping for The Rev. John Thomas, current General Conference Minister of the United Church of Christ. But that would have had no impact whatsoever I suppose.

Well...it will be Rick Warren. Yeah, Mr. Purpose Driven Guy. One of the 25 most influential evangelists in this country (according to Time)

And a purpose driven decision was made by Obama....to reach out to the Christianists, to reach out and offer forgiveness to the guy who wasn't all that cordial during his Saddleback Forum.

I suppose the choice makes tons of sense on a lot of levels. Its so sensible, its so reach across the church aisle, its so...Obama.

No comments: