Monday, December 22, 2008

Light in Darkness


Yesterday was the shortest day of the year...and the longest night. Winter Solstice is a time of welcoming winter and reminding ourselves that from here on in, the days will be getting longer.

In our family we light LOTS of candles for the solstice. Last night there was some spontaneous singing of Happy Birthday... just because.

I don't LOVE winter as much as some. Yet I always feel hopeful during this time of year because I know that despite the cold and dark of winter -- spring will come again. And there is always something to enjoy about the inward time of year.

As you light your candles, I offer a translation of a Sanskrit Light Invocation. I particularly love the last phrase that describes God as THE VITAL ESSENCE OF ILLUMINATION.

I offer myself to the Light, the Auspicious Lord,
who is the True Teacher within and without
Who assumes the forms of Reality, Consciousness and Bliss
Who is never absent and is full of peace,
Independent of His Existence,
He is the vital essence of illumination.




Posted by Picasa

No comments: