When I put my wonk hat on, I find myself thinking about this business of filling Hillary Clinton's senate seat. As a born and bread New Yawka, and as someone who was living in Westchester when Hill and Bill moved in, I have to say NO.
To the notion of Caroline Kennedy.
Now don't get me wrong. I love Caroline Kennedy and was quite moved by her willingness to step up to the plate for Obama. Her Op-Ed in the New York Times on behalf of Obama was beautifully written and was insightful.
But in my gut I still don't think that she is the right choice. Not that I know, right?
Well, I recently reconnected with a high school friend who is a Poly Sci professor at Brown with a specialty on the history of the senate. She sent me this article that she wrote on the subject.
In it she highlights the things that make for a good senator...and it highlights the things that a senator actually does. It is a quick and good read if you are interested.
Suffice it to say that I think my gut it right. I don't think she is the right choice.
That said, the NY Times reports today that she might be just the one to help David Patterson raise enough money for his campaign in 2010.
Ah, politics.
Why Progressives Are Backing Off 'Woke 1'
11 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment