Thursday, December 11, 2008

No More BoBo














There is nothing quite like a peacefully sleeping child. Just makes you want to sigh...ah. But it has taken us a very long week to get to this place.

On Monday, December 1st...we gave up the pacifier (the bobo as it was affectionately known). It has been a cranky, proud, sleepless, treat-filled, whiny and did I mention cranky week. During this time I have been consumed with the task, knowing full-well that the only thing required would be a tolerance for pain...my sweet little one's and the rest of ours as well.

Raising the pain threshold is not easy, and certainly seems to go against human instinct. A parent's job is to soothe, to salve, to make it better. He is flesh of my own flesh, how can I possibly allow him to suffer?

And yet, in order for a child to learn that he is viable on his own, he must be given the opportunity to succeed in all sorts of ways both big and small every day of his life.

The best gifts I can give to my children are such occasions to see that they are able, that things are possible for them.

Not painless, but possible.

Yesterday, as we were packing a little bag with trains, and cars and a sippy cup in preparation to leave the house, I had the fleeting thought that we were not packing a bobo!

In the quiet of my own heart I felt free and quite proud.

Moments later, came a little voice out of the blue: "I happy mommy."

Not painless but possible.


You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy;
In Your right hand there are pleasures forever. Psalm 16:11


Posted by Picasa

No comments: