Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Reality on the Ground

An unforeseen perk of actually being here is that I'm not watching it on t.v. I have not seen any of the television coverage at all. A reader writes of impending doom with the Clinton speech tonight. Of an overly Clinton bill, so to speak.

I have at this point sat through hours of speeches given at our NJ breakfasts and of course, on the convention floor. Let me tell you the talk is UNITY, UNITY and nothing but UNITY. Not once have I heard even so much as a peep about hostile takeovers, floor fights or steeling the thunder from Obama.

At this point I have met several people who have known Barack and Michelle long before this improbable journey began. From dozens of conversations I am assured of at least one thing: "ain't nobody gonna steel the thunder from either one of them". Period. End of story.

Despite the kooky hats and pursed lips of some die-hard Hillraisers, this party is unified behind the man they are convinced will boldly and confidently lead us into a new generation.

(Okay so THAT is the end of the story.)