Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Just Words?

I feel the need to continue my comments on the role of the spoken word.

It was an early primary lightening rod issue back before all the other mud began flying. You may remember folks giving Obama a hard time about his rhetorical prowess. Hillary, who is certainly no slouch in the podium herself, got the ball rolling on that one.

But here is why words matter. Do you think Obama would be where he is today were it not for that SPEECH four short years ago? He had two books under his belt and by any stretch of the imagination a remarkably fast rise to the U.S. Senate...but we began to pay attention because those words grabbed us by the heart and practically demanded it.

Only when he had our attention long enough did we realize that there was much more meat beyond the words. There was integrity, honesty, intelligence, a solid plan and a man whose very life represented soft power beyond measure.

Is it any wonder that the only other candidate who even remotely matched the winner's public speaking prowess was the woman who came in second?

I sat next to a man tonight who was at the convention in 2004. I asked him what it thought about it back then.

"It was electrifying. But I just figured he was the flavor of the month. But the crowd was energized by what he said...and followed up with action. And, well here we are.
"

My point exactly.

No comments: