Thursday, August 28, 2008

Redemption



I guess in the truest sense of the word, I'm not certain Bill was made completely whole last night. But he went a long way in reminding us why we had liked him in the first place. He came through and did the right thing. His endorsement was what it needed to be: an endorsement from one of two living Democrats who actually know what lies ahead for Obama.

My fav line was when he FINALLY pointed out the obvious: Obama is him for this new generation. Their two stories share so many points of convergence, it was a relief to hear him acknowledge it.

Back in November of 1992 I gave a sermon, borrowing a line from my favorite Bill Clinton Speech. As I recall, A Place Called Hope got me in a bit of trouble with one of my more Republican congregants. Though it was merely an exposition on Paul's letter to the Hebrews, she felt I was sneaking partisan politics into the pulpit.

But neither Democrats nor Christians have a corner on that market...and as we were reminded last night: as Americans, we can, we must continue to Believe In A Place Called Hope.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: