Thursday, August 28, 2008

Roll Call



Dolled up and ready to go we were ready to make history. This was another in a whole host of exciting moments. I heard that CNN had the roll call on t.v. without interruption. I guess they figured there was enough drama built right in: no need to play it up.

Each of the states and territories that had a chance to go clearly felt the pride in making their announcements. For me, in addition to BEING ON T.V. (did I mention that? have you checked out c-span's web site yet to see the clip?) was knowing how important New Jersey's role was in setting the stage for New York.

In another display of classic Clintonian Drama, Hillary finally let her people go. The crowd erupted and people actually cried. She came out on top and clearly had it planned this way all along.

I have this theory I call my West Wing Theory. It will only make sense if you followed the last season of that show which ended in 2006. Throughout all of that drama which lasted an entire season, we watched as Alan Alda and Jimmy Smitts rose to become their party's nominees. Each week I felt emotionally drained as I followed the ups and downs of their campaigns along with the behind the scenes story lines. Each week I promised myself I wouldn't fall for it again...ha.

These past 20 months have been about 100 times more draining. But I move forward. And when I get depressed, totally fed up with nasty crap that I can not abide, I comfort myself by recalling the final episode that NBC series. Comforted by the truth that art often imitates life.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: