I know a thing or two about public speaking. I understand the pressure Mark Warner was under given that the man who last gave the keynote address at this convention is now our presidential nominee. Yeah, big shoes to fill. And he didn't. Not even close. And, what's more he almost seemed to know it. Not a great feeling. I know, I've been there.
This man is the one to watch for. Yes I know that Deval and Barack are friends and I know they have shared a speech writer -- but beyond the words is the need to be able to connect with your audience. A good speech, like a good sermon must grab you in the first minute. As my favorite homiletics professor used to say: "folks will get on the train with you if they think its going somewhere, you have to grab in the first few minutes or they're not gettin' on."
Three of the best, most effective speeches I have heard these past two days were from Corey Booker, Wellington Webb (former Mayor of Denver) and Deval Patrick. Three African-American men who I suspect may have heard a few sermons in their day...
2 comments:
This post is why this blog is important...these guys weren't on tv at all last night. After Warners speech the tv bloviators came back on and disected that...while in the background I could see the Montanna cat talking, and I wondered what he said. I'm really hoping Biden brings the fire tonight...
I'm really enjoying your blogs/photos and scanning MSNBC for a real glimpse of you...no luck so far. IMHO Hillary left out a paragraph or two last night that would have really done some good...guess it just wasn't in her. What will tonight bring with Bubba and Biden?
FYI I think Spike Lee lives in a Manhattan brownstone. Note to Alex: C Span.
Post a Comment