Okay, so it is true that a good deal of what these conventions are about is face time. A chance for an elected official to meet and greet some of his/her constituents. Lots of hand shaking and card sharing as the canopies and drinks are consumed. But there is something else going on as well.A bit starry-eyed I admit, I snaked around long enough for Governor Corzine to turn and shake my hand. I introduced myself as being new to the whole scene and he was genuinely, but GENUINELY happy to see me there. He credits "Barack" with bringing a whole new generation into the process and I guess I'm one of them. He asked me my opinion of Joe Biden and we talked about the importance of moving forward on foreign policy. Just a tad more heady than the average cocktail conversation.
The time was brief, as others were waiting for their turn. I lingered a bit and observed this warm, and easy guy really listen to the story of a high school that needs a new roof in some NJ city that seemed to be crumbling in more places than that. Seemingly sobered by the councilwoman's words, The Governor assured her that although money was tight, help was on the way.
This could have been coffee hour after church, with a congregant and a minister. Minister-Governor...Congregant-constituent. The goal is the same: to serve the community and its people, to move forward in the faith that things can be made better, and yes, to offer hope that our best days are yet to come.

5 comments:
Great photo! (Love the sweater). If your first day is this exciting...imagine what the week holds.
Maybe when this is all over, you can explain to me how the Obamas were disrespectful to the Clintons during the primary season. Obama won, fair and square. Duh. Hillary reminds me of a person who murdered her parents and then cried to the judge she was an orphan.
This is great--love the pic. You look so genuinely psyched! Hope it's goin well!
Liz, Great Pic! Hope more to come.
My group at work are all for Obama, I will invite them to your blog tomorrow if it's ok with you.
Liz; I have Atlanta on board!
Love your blog!
Love, Aunt Arlene
Liz
So great t o see your blog on my computer and enjoy your time with you vicariously, keep it coming chica!
Love Mel
Post a Comment