Well...no Dem Convention Fashion Tips...But Governor Corzine and Congressman Steve Rothman were on hand to encourage Party Unity given our Diversity. The catch phrase brought me back to not a few student sermons at YDS.
Politically speaking, Unity given the diversity of the group sounded like a good idea. The room was filled with every kind of person from every demographic you can think of. That remains truly impressive to me. Some still seemed stuck on, if not miffed by the idea of no Hillary. I guess they hadn't heard Ralph Nader's prediction that Hillary is the surprise we've been waiting for...
Within the evening's theme of Unity and Diversity came several speeches about the shot in the arm that Obama has given the Democratic Party. It is being noticed at every level of public office. Of note, was Congressman's Pallone comment that he had often gone to election rallies where he faced fewer than a dozen half-hearted supporters. Now, and he credits Obama, he has to manage large throngs of volunteers, all of whom have been brought in because of this election. It is clear that even the most seasoned politicos are impressed, if not grateful for this duly needed shot in the arm.
What I have long suspected may in fact be true: like him or not, agree with him or not, it is difficult to argue with the "soft power" that Barack Obama brings to the Democratic Party and to this country. It is why I signed on back at the start and it is clearly the reason why Corzine, an avid open Hillary supporter, stood before us and said "We're all in this together...and we must stand behind our presumptive nominee with enthusiasm."
I left the meeting truly energized, excited, and proud to be a part of pushing a progressive agenda for this country. We were made to feel not only part of a team, but of a truly important happening.
Okay, and I was pretty excited to learn that Bobbi Brown herself is part of our delegation! A week in Denver, and the possibility of a makeover. Now that's the change I've been waiting for!
Why Progressives Are Backing Off 'Woke 1'
11 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment