My initiation to the world of a conventioneer began at gate 104 in the Newark Airport. Minutes after arriving, I met up with two very excited "first timers". As grassroots organizers they already knew one another and had been working together on the campaign from the beginning. Their enthusiasm was infectious and soon my bleary-eyed trepidation was replaced with a clear reminder that we were about to be part of history and it was going to be memorable!
We sat together for the 4 1/2 hour ride and rehashed primary stories. The most impressive of which was Glynnis' meeting Michelle Obama at a private fundraiser. "She is one terrific lady. She welcomed me in like a long lost friend, and seemed to get that I felt out of my element in this million dollar New Jersey mansion. She thanked me for coming and just wanted to know what was on my mind and how it was going for me and my family."
Only hours into this adventure I have already met so many people who have personally been working with the Obamas and this campaign since BEFORE day one. Kind, honest, real, smart, sincere and committed are describe the next First Family.
Shared a cab ride to the hotel with a Hillary delegate from Bergen County. Another great conversation about the Dems embarrassment of riches this time around and talk of unity, and support. As a representative of a Nurses and Teachers Union, she was thrilled that her candidate will have a place as a leader in the senate to achieve much needed changes in our health care system. She is happy to cast her vote for Obama...its all good. Still concern about a potential floor fight hangs in the air.
The Hotel Inverness is beyond luxurious...I may just get some rest after all...but it will be hard to settle down amist the incredible excitement that is swirling around. The New Jersey Delegation, officially 137 delegates has swelled to over 500 as a part of our delegation. It is the largest group of people to willingly, happily...no, ecstatically attend one of these things in a long, long time. The balance of the 137 are here as friends, and family and added guests because they dare not miss out. Not this year. Not this time around.
I saw a lost and lone pacifier sitting on a table in the lobby. For a split second I actually thought it was Luke's. (same kind! same color!) What an odd sign, a grounding image, really, for this larger than life first day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
LJ:
...thanks for an inspiring post
and great to hear you've arrived and are (sort of) settled in!
We're watching the closing Olympic ceremony...but anticipating the
Denver "opening" with prayers for
unity all around!
Hugs and love from everyone here!
Raymond
Glad you are in Denver safe and sound. Now the fun begins. I am so jealous...wish I was there. But we're all there with you in spirit!
Wonder if Ted will show up tomorrow night?
I did get your comment...so it posted afterall.
Post a Comment