Monday, January 19, 2009

Great Expectations

I don't think emotions have been this high since the primaries. My children begged to stay up and watch Disney's Inaugural Concert celebration. They got about an hour in...they're going to school tomorrow! We TiVoed the rest.

I caught a piece of a radio show today on NPR talking about "THE SPEECH" tomorrow and how much will be expected of the man. One who is already a great speaker, at a time when much needs to be said. The bar is QUITE high. The nice thing is, he set the bar himself, so presumably, he'll be just fine in meeting or surpassing it.

The shoes he'll be filling: small

The issues he'll be facing: gi-nor-mus.

As usual, Andrew Sullivan hits some of the most salient points of the new era we are facing in his article out today entitled: Can Barack Obama Fix It? Yes He Can. Of course, the title made ministermom think of Bob the Builder...but I commend it all the same.

I'll be blogging tomorrow...let me know what you think. I can already tell you: I'm planning to have a box of tissues real close by.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, my. The tears have already started as I listen to NPR this morning.
What a day this will be...

Dianne DiB said...

I already had a good cry watching the inspirational inaugural concert. First Bruce, then Aretha, U2 and my second-favorite (to U2)--Pete Seeger! I am so full of hope and anticipation to begin the process of uniting Americans to get this country where it belongs. AT AB&G I heard some people talking politics, and it wasn't pretty--racist, ignorant words. Yes, it exists even in "Mayberry!" However, I hold out hope that this is a dying breed. Keep writing, Liz, and I hope our paths cross sometime. Dianne Allendale, NJ
diannediblas@yahoo.com