Friday, January 23, 2009

The Post Boomer Era Has Arrived

Quite a bit has been made about the new age that we have entered as a culture. With Obama's rise to the White House, our country is now being lead by the first post Boomer President.

Much has been written about the impact of this, and much of it I think is speculation. We're two days in...too soon to tell, I think.

I did experience the reality of this phenomenon, however, when disscussing whether Caroline Kennedy should be Gov. David Patterson's pick to replace Hillary Clinton. Most people my age, post boomers that is, said "NO". We liked her, appreciated the Kennedy brand and all but didn't like the dynasty, business as usual quality to the whole idea. The discussions I was present for were always split and almost always went the way of Boomers for Kennedy, Post Boomers against her.

Well...today Patterson chose Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand to fill Clinton's seat. Gillibrand is 42 years old and had her second child this past May. She will be the youngest member of the senate.

That pretty much qualifies her as post-boomer!

Our time has come. We're up to bat. This is it!

Exhilarating! Nerve-wracking? We'll see...

America, this is our moment. This is our time. Our time to turn the page on the policies of the past. Our time to bring new energy and new ideas to the challenges we face. Our time to offer a new direction for the country we love.
-- Barack Obama, 1.20.09

No comments: