I received an ecstatic phone call from my 13 year old god daughter tonight.
"HI...guess where I am...an Obama rally! Its amazing!"
That a young person of pre-voting age has become so engaged in her country is wonderful. That she even recognizes Ohio, where she lives is a swing state is nearly unheard of. That she felt like she was waiting to hear a "rock" star give a speech is a once in a generation phenomenon.
The youngest citizens of our country have become involved, interested, sometimes mis-informed, often competitive and combative about this election because they too are susceptible to the national mood.
Regardless of what happens on Tuesday, I have been acutely aware of the national hope that has been pinned on this election. The collective anxiety over the actual results is just indicative of the mood that has been building for nearly 8 years.
Amid my myriad worries has been the impossible expectations placed on Obama. Those who want him to win, need him to win. They have a sense that the nation has been stuck, and that he could unstick it.
I too have had this sense that we needed to move beyond and that is why I have resonated so closely with the thinking of Andrew Sullivan. He is able to cogently diagnose what has been ailing us.
He has done it again, it yesterday's London Times. I recommend this -- especially if you want to stop watching the news for a moment or stop looking at the polls.
This is the article.
Crime Crackdown 'Working,' DC Homicides Plummet
11 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment