Monday, November 3, 2008

The End Is The Beginning And So On...

I made 40 phone calls to voters in Pennsylvania today. Mostly, I left messages for people who were not home. One woman told me she was still undecided. I was dying to press her on that, but had the distinct feeling she just didn't want to talk. Can't blame her.

This year (or two) will go down in my family's history as the "time my mommy worked for Obama". It will be a time that I hope they and my sweet hubby forget that I neglected the laundry, and sometimes dinner because I was fixated on something that felt too large to ignore.

I hope they someday understand that I was driven by a love for my country and a need to do something...anything...to help make it less UPSIDE DOWN. Dare I say, I wanted to do something, anything to help make it "right side up" once again.

Though I have always been prone to drama, I have not always welcomed the flurry of emotion, some quite vile, that has surrounded this political process. I have, at times, sunk lower than I could have imagined and wondered why I was even bothering to care.

But all along, with the help of those more rational than I, I hung on to the words that made me stand up in the first place:

"We all have it within our power to make this a better world. Because we all have the capacity to do justice and show mercy; to treat others with dignity and respect; and to rise above what divides us and come together to meet those challenges we can't meet alone. It's the wisdom Moses imparted to those who would succeed him. And it's a lesson we need to remember today – as members of another Joshua generation." Barack Obama, June 23, 2007 - UCC General Synod

What I am commanding you is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven. Nor is it beyond the sea. No, the word is very near. It is on your lips and in your heart. Deuteronomy 30


2 comments:

Arlene said...

Liz, This has been an awesome ride! I REALLY FEEL GOOD ABOUT TOMORROW! Thank you so much for your great contributions and encouragement. I'm sure you've seen the turn here in Georgia!
But of great importance is the "fact that Denny Crane has never lost"!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you Liz for all you have done, and encouraged us to do. You set a fine example for your family and the rest of us, and for that we must all be grateful. Thank you also for sharing the eloquent words that you and others have put together to inspire us. The courageous goals they represent do indeed give us HOPE!