While still in Denver, I posted a few pieces on Michelle Obama. My wish has come true...my generation has got its Jackie O.
Amidst all the real fear and serious questions that our nation now faces, I am just thrilled that we can also spend time focusing on how they are parenting, and what she is wearing. Apparently, I'm not alone: I just found a fabulous fashion web site all about Michelle O.
Here is what I said back in Denver:
I can't sleep thinking about how moved I was by her presentation. It wasn't just her words but the way she has rallied against the "unpatriotic" meme. Every aspect of her story and Barack's story is so classic, so core to what many contend are so called "real" American values. Although their politics may be liberal, their story is really quite traditional. What's not to love?
*******
Donning yet another adorable dress, Michelle along with the rest of her clan and Mr. and Mrs. Biden were seated in a box about ten rows behind. It took at least 15 minutes for the crowd to settle.
To be sure, we are a celebrity-obsessed culture...but more than that we are hungering for someone to adore, someone normal to emulate, someone to call our own once again.
I grew up listening to my mother describe her love of and respect for Jackie Kennedy. I think I finally know what she meant. (August 25, 2008)
***************
No, this won't solve the mortgage crisis or erase the unemployment rates or bring the wars to an end. But it will allow us to have some fun, shift the focus a bit and revel once again in that dream that is so uniquely, obsessively, particularly...American.
1 comment:
One sure thing Michelle and I have in common. For the first time I am really proud of my country too.
Post a Comment