I have read quite a bit about Obama's brand of Christianity lately. Much of it is written by folks who are questioning whether or not Barack Obama is a real Christian.
No, they don't believe he is Muslim. They know he professes Christ to be his avenue to God. But that is not enough for them. They want him to show some clear signs that he is the right kind of Christian. The traditional Nicene Creed kind.
Most of what I have read thus far fails to recognize the central faith of The United Church of Christ. And that is, "Through Ancient Text and modern voices...God is still speaking."
The UCC coins a term attributed to Gracie Allen: never put a period where God has placed a comma.
One look at how the UCC self-describes and you will find a church that coined the term Open and Affirming to signify its willingness to truly, honestly and actually OPEN its doors to ALL regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or questions along the journey of faith.
That is Obama's Christianity. It is far more open to questioning, dialog, and acceptance of difference than many sects of Christianity can even imagine.
He has said on more than one occasion that his faith informs his sense of public service.
Rather than looking back to the Nicene Creed to judge Obama's faith, I would look forward to the theology and philosophy of the Emerging Church with its emphasis on dialog rather than one way evangelism.
A man who believes that God is still speaking, is someone who will be listening and paying very close attention.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? Isaiah 43:19a
Crime Crackdown 'Working,' DC Homicides Plummet
11 hours ago
2 comments:
I was raised Catholic but, for many reasons, no longer identify with the Catholic church.
I went to a UCC service in Chicago with our friend Julie and her husband many years ago. It was the first time in my adult life that I felt that this was what church and faith and GOD are all about. The congregation was lead by a female pastor and the faces surrounding me were of every race, age, sexual orientation, gender.
I left that service inspired, uplifted, and full of hope.
I'm at a stage in my life where I feel the need for some spiritual guidance, but am completely disenchanted with organized religion (five years in Oklahoma will do that to a liberal person). I now live in a city with options. THANK YOU for reminding me about the UCC.
I, too, attend a UCC church, and am grateful for it's inclusiveness. But when I visit San Francisco I go to the amazing Glide Memorial United Methodist Church, where they truly walk the talk, I am humbled. Glide is the REAL DEAL. Old,young, rich, poor, white, other, straight, gay, a powerfully moving mix of humanity, that is TRULY inspirational, and has been for quite a while.
Post a Comment