Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Bearable Rightness of Being

Okay, so a few readers were upset by how upset I was in the last post. It is rather laughable that I should find intolerance so intolerable. I could easily know better.

They have a right to think their way -- and so do I.

It is the bearable rightness of being. Everybody gets to have it. To be glad for what they believe whatever it may be.

A reader sent me this response which finally makes more sense than getting all riled up. Here is what he wrote:

We Live, We Judge
This brings to mind my take on a vivid passage in the Gospels. Mary Magdalen weeps at the empty tomb. She sees someone and supposing him to be the gardener, asks "Do you know where they have taken my Lord?" He calls her by name and she understand it is Jesus.
So, the person she has spent years traveling with and loving and respecting is in front of her and she does not recognize him. Really? Her powers of observation and judgement are that poor?
My take is that Jesus is alive in the gardener... and everywhere we least expect him. Our pre-conceived notions of who is salvageable and who is right with the world, and the worldly way we judge people... is all wrong.
The experience of meeting Jesus disguised in lower state is repeated many times after the resurrection, with good reason. It's a tough lesson to learn.

Too true.

1 comment:

leslie henshaw said...

I believe the stage of enlightenment is a place where we not only understand but celebrate that every person is exactly where they are and that is exactly where they need to be. I think that's why the road to enlightenment is so difficult!

Thanks for the bday wishes!!!