Friday, February 13, 2009

Having One's Eyes Opened

I have been rather quiet on the political front -- nearly since January 20th. In large measure it is due to my innate desire to avoid conflict. I'm a peace monger and I don't take that term lightly, nor is it a compliment.


I had the sense from the outset that things were not going to be easy for Obama, and that he would enjoy no honeymoon period. No problem there. I shrugged it off when Rush Limbaugh said he hoped Obama would fail. Okay, whatever.

But I now see that each time Obama does anything that is even remotely iffy, he is doomed. There are some in the Republican Party -- aside from Rush Limbaugh -- who really want to see the whole administration go down in flames so they can say, "Told you so".

Weird.

The best hope I have is the knowledge that when people come in as change agents, there are always those who go kicking and screaming..."CHANGE BACK! We liked it the way it was before...it sucked but at least it was familiar."

That happens in families, in institutions, and it is happening here and now.

But in the end, if the change works...if the change agent turns out to be right (if the stimulus plan actually stimulates something)...there will be a love fest.

We'll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I have no illusions and sometimes Reality Bites.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stay with the HOPE, Liz. Yes we can!
When I witness the lack of class of so many people speaking on the tube, COMPARED to our man Barack, I just HAVE to feel good that at least we have HIM.
Thank you, thank you God.