Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Age of Aquarius?

A supporter of reformist candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi jokes with her friends as she displays a banner to passing motorists during a campaign street rally in Tehran yesterday. (Ben Curtis/ Associated Press)

Surely, every generation believes that it is at the forefront of radical change and transformation. Each age much feel that the times, they are a changin'.

Having been so involved with the transformation that seemed to occur to put Obama in place, I cannot help but notice and be intrigued, interested and energized by the massive change that seems to be sweeping Iran in this past week. All I have to go by is NPR constant reporting and what I have been reading about the aftermath of yesterday's unprecedented election.

Those who wish to be heard can no longer be silenced by an oppressive government, corruption and scandal. They are standing on rooftops shouting and thousands upon thousands are twittering in the absence of any other allowed form of communication. Technology is leading the way for the masses to demand massive change...sound familiar?

I can't imagine the higher ups in Iran bargained for that.

Looking at images and reading twitter from many young Iranian reformers wearing 'green'...I'm thinking that the unlikely candidacy of a young man with a familiar name who became President half way around the world wasn't just a bit inspiring.

Then peace will guide the planet and love, love will steer the stars....

No comments: