Thursday, May 21, 2009

Surprised By Joy


Ministermom was rather quiet this week...working on a sermon took all my writing and thinking time. And...it took me nearly another week to recover! My sermon writing muscles were a bit weak.

I was filling the pulpit for a colleague who was out of town. It was expected that I preach from the pre-assigned scripture readings for that week (the Lectionary). Hence, the need to write a fresh piece of inspiration!

As God would have it...one of the readings was from John's Gospel. Jesus, in preparing to leave his disciples, gives them some final words.

I say these things to you that my joy might be in you and that your joy may be complete.

JOY!

I love when that happens.

And so it was that I embarked on a solid week of thinking, reading and writing about JOY!

I really love when that happens.

Aside from anything else I said to the congregation last Sunday was the reality that all those Joy Words really rubbed off on me! It was an important lesson on the power of beliefs and thoughts to effect a change in our attitude.

We are surprised by joy...as many writers and theologians have said, and I concurred.

And what a pleasant surprise it is.

No comments: