
The enlightened leader of my book group selected Ann Morrow Lindburgh's classic A Gift From the Sea for a light August read.
Within the first few pages, I found the answer to why I have been so quiet on this blog -- why the posts have been so sparse:
"To be a woman is to have interests and duties, raying out in all directions from the central MOTHER-CORE, like spokes from the hub of a wheel. The pattern of our lives is essentially circular. We must be open to all points of the compass; husband, children, friends, home, community; stretched out, exposed, sensitive like a spider's web to each breeze that blows, to each call that comes.
How difficult for us, then, to achieve a balance in the midst of these contradictory tensions, and yet how necessary for the proper functioning of our lives.
How much we need, and how arduous of attainment is that steadiness preached in all rules for holy living. How desirable and how distant is the ideal of the contemplative, artist or saint - inner inviolable core, the single eye."
Hmmm...maybe this 1955 piece of wisdom will offer me just what I need to begin again.
1 comment:
Delighted that you have discovered Anne Morrow Lindbergh's classic. I think I was about your age when I first read it. I just now pulled my copy off the shelf, with plans to read it again, with older eyes. TIme to re-learn some lessons? Onward, thanking you for this inspiration.
Post a Comment